How to Transfer an Accountant's Copy to Our Firm
An accountant's copy of a client's QuickBooks file allows us to load their history accounting information while they continue to input current information. So, they can provide us with a year-end copy of their data to prepare financial statements or an income tax return, while they pay bills and reconcile cash in the current year. Clients send us their accountant's copy by doing the following (note that we prefer one month after year-end, for example, January 2021 for 2020 which provides cutoff information):
Send a file through the Accountant's Copy File Service
- Go to the File menu and hover over Send Company File.
- Hover over Accountant's Copy and hover over Client Activities.
- Select Send to Accountant and then Next.
- Select Accountant's Copy and then Next.
- Enter the dividing date. Then select Next.
- Enter your and your accountant's email addresses.
- Create a file password for the file. Your accountant needs this to open it.
- When you're ready, select Send.
Be sure to let us know the password you assigned when sending us your file! It is different from your login password to QuickBooks.
source: QuickBooks Support